Prep Time - 15mins
Cooking Time - 50mins
150mls Hot Black Tea
155g (max) Soft Dark Brown Sugar (or 85g Dark Muscovado Sugar and 70g Soft Dark Brown Sugar)
300g Mixed Dried Fruits
2 Large Eggs, Beaten
250g Malted Wheat Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
Malt Extract to glaze top (only if you have it in the cupboard, could use Milk or Egg)
1. Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Line the base and ends of two greased 450g/1lb non-stick loaf tins with strips of baking parchment or one 2lb Tin, (may require longer cooking time)
2. Pour the hot tea into a mixing bowl with the sugar and dried fruit. Stir well, then add the eggs.
3. Tip in the flour, then quickly stir in the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and pour into the prepared tins.
4. Bake for 50 mins until firm and well risen. While still warm, brush with a little malt extract to glaze and leave to cool.
5. Remove from the tins. If you can bear not to eat it straight away, it gets stickier after wrapping and keeping for 2-5 days. Serve sliced and buttered, if you like